Mr. Giulio Garaffa trained in Italy and the UK before being appointed as a Consultant Uro-Andrological Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer in Urology at the Institute of Urology, University College London Hospitals.
He has been awarded an MD on vascular and nervous microsurgery and more recently a PhD on the genetic basis of male factor infertility.
One of the most experienced Penile Prosthesis surgeons in Europe, he performs more than 300 complex penile reconstruction procedures every year. He is very active in the field of clinical research, Mr. Garaffa has published more than 100 articles and book chapters in international journals and is regularly invited worldwide to give lectures and to perform live surgery.
He routinely performs total penile reconstructions (phalloplasty) in both female to male transsexuals, in patients with a micro-penis condition or who have undergone penile amputation. Mr. Garaffa is recognised as the leading surgeon in Europe for these detailed procedures and performs the highest number of operations of these Phalloplasty surgeries, annually.
A fellow of the European Committee of Sexual Medicine, Mr. Garaffa is also part of the educational committee of the European Society of Sexual Medicine, which strives to provide excellent standards of training in the field of Andrology and Sexual Medicine to Urologists.
He is a dedicated and well-recognized trainer in Andrology and Reconstruction and he often runs international training courses for Surgeons.
Summary of Achievements
- Consultant Uro-Andrological Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer in Urology at the Institute of Urology, University College London Hospitals.
- MD on vascular and nervous microsurgery
- PhD on the genetic basis of male factor infertility
- A fellow of the European Committee of Sexual Medicine amongst many others
- Member of a number of European Societies including European Society of Sexual Medicine, British Society of Sexual Medicine, European Association of Urology and the British Association of Urological Surgeons
- Reviewer for the following Journals, The Journal of Urology, Journal of Andrological Sciences and many others
- Performs over 300 complex penile reconstruction procedures every year
- Published more than 100 articles and book chapters in international journals