Mr. Amr Raheem is a specialist in Andrology at the University College London Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. He has a wealth of experience, spanning more than fifteen years, in this highly-specialised field. His expertise covers surgical, medical, hormonal, psychological and academic aspects of male health.
His main clinical areas of interest are male infertility & contraception, Peyronies Disease, Erectile Dysfunction and male Hypogonadism. He performs a large number of highly specialised procedures including microsurgical sperm retrieval, microsurgical reconstruction for obstructive azoospermia, vasectomy reversal, microsurgical vaso-vasostomy, microsurgical epididymo-vasostomy, microsurgical varicocelectomy, inflatable penile prosthesis, penile grafting and plication procedures and microsurgical denervation of the spermatic cord for chronic scrotal pain.
Mr. Raheem was the associate chief investigator for all UK Xiapex (Xiaflex) clinical trials. Xiapex is the first non-surgical treatment to be licensed for the treatment of Peyronie’s disease. Mr. Raheem’s experience with this new treatment option allows him to personally tailor the treatment approach for each patient according to the presenting condition, just like surgical correction. Mr. Raheem has performed over six hundred procedures with this technique, more than any other doctor in Europe. In addition to leading the development of this treatment, he also trains doctors from the UK and Europe in how to perform this procedure.
Furthermore, he is part of a team that is exploring the therapeutic effects of Botox (botulinum toxin) on erectile dysfunction and has very recently presented the results of a pioneering pilot study in this exciting field at the International Society for Sexual Medicine (ISSM) congress in Beijing May ’16 and at the American Sexual Medicine Society (SMSNA) congress in Scottsdale, Arizona Nov ’16. This is a newly proposed medical solution that may completely change how men with erectile dysfunction are treated.
He is actively involved in teaching undergraduate and postgraduate doctors, as well as training junior doctors and nursing staff. He also trains urologists in clinical and surgical Andrology and gynaecologists, sub-specialising in reproductive medicine, in male infertility. He has delivered numerous lectures in the field of Andrology to undergraduate medical students, Urology Diploma students, MSc Urology students, the Institute of Cancer Research, MSc Oncology students, MSc Genetics and Prenatal Diagnosis students, and General Practitioners. He has also been invited to lecture in several international medical congresses and has supervised several clinical theses.
Summary of Achievements
- Consultant in Andrology with 15 years of experience in all aspects of men’s health; surgical, medical, hormonal and psychological.
- Honorary Senior Lecturer at the University College London.
- One of only a handful of Male health experts worldwide.
- MSc and PhD in Andrology.
- Fellow of the European Committee of Sexual Medicine.
- Fellow of the European Academy of Andrology.
- Member of the British, European and International societies of sexual medicine.
- Associate chief investigator for all UK Xiapex (Xiaflex) clinical trials for the treatment of Peyronie’s disease.
- Performs hundreds of penile and scrotal surgeries
- Performed over 600 procedures with the Xiapex technique, more than any doctor in Europe and trains other doctors in how to perform this procedure.
- Part of a team exploring the therapeutic effects of Botox (botulinum toxin) on erectile dysfunction. Presented the results of a pioneering pilot study in this field at the International Society of Sexual Medicine (ISSM) congress and the American Sexual Medicine Society (SMSNA) congress
- Lectures undergraduate and postgraduate doctors
- Trains Junior Doctors, Nurses, Urologists and Gynaecologists on Male health.
- Published more than 80 articles and book chapters in international journals
- Lectured in several international medical congresses and has supervised several clinical theses.
- Reviewer for several journals including: Journal of sexual medicine, Urology Journal, Andrology, Human fertility.